Are you a small business that uses FileMaker to run your business (Contacts, Invoices, Suppliers, Leads etc) but also have an online store and use another accounting software? Do you find yourself re-entering online orders multiple times in your FileMaker CRM then once again in your accounting software?
There is a better way – we know as we once were in that situation ourselves. Over the past five years we’ve introduced a number of new systems into our business operations, including:
- 2 online stores for our main Databuzz site as well as for our fmSMS product both running WooCommerce
- switched from a desktop accounting software to the Xero Cloud accounting platform
We also use the FileMaker platform internally to run our business and like many of our customers we suddenly found ourselves in the position where we had to enter a new sales order multiple times in different systems. The workflow for a new order became:
- receive notification via email of a new online order
- create a new order in our FileMaker CRM and copy/paste the customer and order details from the email
- logon to Xero and create a new Customer and Invoice and enter the Payment manually via copy/paste from FileMaker
The online order was being manually typed twice in FileMaker and our accounting software, leading to data entry errors and wasted time handling the same order multiple times. At Databuzz we like to “eat out own dogfood” and most of our Products have been the result of a need to solve a problem within our own business that we suspected other businesses would also have. With the help of our fmAccounting Link (Xero Edition) solution as well as fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) and the power of webhooks we’ve been able to completely eliminate all data entry for our online orders.
The new streamlined process looks like this:
- a new order is created in one of our online stores which triggers a WooCommerce webhook to push that new Order to our internal version of fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition).
- this calls a FileMaker script which then pushes the online order to our internal version of fmAccounting Link (Xero Edition). It checks to see if the customer already exists, otherwise it creates a new one.
- a staff member does a quick sanity check to make sure everything looks correct and then clicks a button to upload the new Invoice and Payment to Xero.
We’ve managed to reduce this business process from 5-10 minutes to 5-10 seconds – this has freed up time to be spent on more productive tasks instead of mindless double data entry. Whether you’re using WooCommerce or Shopify for your online store and Xero or MYOB AccountRight/Essentials for your accounting it is possible to integrate all of these with FileMaker in the middle so that new online orders flow directly into FileMaker and then into your accounting software without any more double data entry.
If you would like to discuss integrating your FileMaker solution with your eCommerce system please contact us for a free initial consultation to discuss your requirements. We also have a number of FileMaker integration solutions available if you would prefer to do the integration in-house:
- fmAccounting Link (Xero Edition): integrate FileMaker with the Xero Cloud Accounting Software
- fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition): integrate FileMaker with WooCommerce
- fmEcommerce Link (Shopify Edition): integrate FileMaker with Shopify
- fmAccounting Link (MYOB AccountRight Edition): integrate FileMaker with MYOB AccountRight Accounting Software (Australia and New Zealand)
- fmAccounting Link (MYOB Essentials Edition): integrate FileMaker with MYOB Essentials Accounting Software (Australia and New Zealand)