FileMaker Inc. today released the FileMaker 18 Platform with new versions of FileMaker Pro Advanced, Server, FileMaker Go, FileMaker WebDirect and FileMaker Cloud for AWS. As with previous releases the FileMaker 18 platform has a number of new features for both customers and developers alike. This releases marks the fifth annual release that started with v14 with all new versions shipping in May each year.
Updates in the FileMaker 18 Platform include:
- New user interface for importing data - More easily map imported source data to FileMaker fields using the new Import Field Mapping dialog box. Use type ahead instead of drag and drop for greater efficiency. And specify custom delimiters when importing certain file types.
- File-based script steps – Create scripts that read, write, and manage external data files to write log files or export data in a custom format. Replaces the need for many file-based plug-ins.
- New managed security access - This new privilege set allows developers to offload account access management to other team members without needing to provide full access to any other parts of the file.
- Manage Security dialog box - The streamlined Manage Security dialog box allows you to be more efficient in managing access to your custom apps.
- Startup restoration - FileMaker files are now automatically recoverable after a hardware or software crash. The restoration log in FileMaker Server validates database entries when a file is first opened, before client access, and if the file had not been properly closed.
- Platform parity - The FileMaker Cloud for AWS 1.18 code base supports all of the new features in the FileMaker 18 Platform.
We’re please to report that all Databuzz products are compatible with the FileMaker 18 Platform:
- fmAccounting Link (Xero Edition)
- fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition)
- fmEcommerce Link (Shopify Edition)
- fmAccounting Link (MYOB AccountRight Edition)
- fmAccounting Link (MYOB Essentials Edition)
There is a change related to Plug-in security enhancements with FileMaker 18 to ensure your plug-ins come from a trustworthy source before they are automatically loaded by your FileMaker app. Depending on your version of the plug-in used by some of our products this might be an issue the first time you open one of our products in FileMaker Pro 18 – see our compatibility update for further details on how to resolve this issue.
We’ll be publishing more articles over the coming months looking at some of the new features in the FileMaker 18 Platform in more depth – you can subscribe to our newsletter to be notified when they are released or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.