Earlier this year we wrote about the upcoming release of WooCommerce 2.7 and how it would be introducing a new version of the REST API (v2) with a number of new API endpoints, particularly for Product Variations. Shortly after our post WooCommerce decided to re-version 2.7 to 3.0 to better reflect the significance of this update and push the release date to the 4th of April, 2017.
Since the release of WooCommerce 3.0 we’ve been busy working on an update to fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) to support the new v2 of the REST API and associated changes. We’re pleased to announce that v1.3 of fmEcommerce Link is now available as a free update for all existing customers (details have been sent via email about how to download this update). As v1 of the REST API has now been deprecated by WooCommerce we’ve decided to create 2 versions of the fmEcommerce Link file, one for each version of the REST API:
- fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) REST API v1.fmp12
- fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) REST API v2.fmp12
WooCommerce 3.0 is a major update and WooCommerce recommend that you ensure your store extensions and themes are compatible before upgrading, test on a staging site if you can, and make a backup for peace of mind. Since the 3.0 release on April 4th there have been 7 updates already fixing bugs with both WooCommerce and the REST API.
The major changes in fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) 1.3 include:
- now supports the WooCommerce REST API v2 only
- Product Variations are now stored in their own table to match the new Variations endpoint (you can now update Variations independently of their parent Product)
- added support for additional fields exposed by the v2 API for existing endpoints
- added new Meta Data tables which are included with most of the API endpoints (Customers, Orders, Products etc)
- added support for new Payment Gateways endpoint
- added support for new Shipping Methods endpoint
- added support for new Shipping Zone Locations endpoint
- added support for new Shipping Zone Methods endpoint
- fixed issue when uploading a Product with no Images when Product previously contained images
WooCommerce 3.0 supports both v1 and v2 of the REST API so you can upgrade to WooCommerce 3.0 and continue to use your existing version or integration of fmEcommerce Link and everything will continue to work as it did with WooCommerce 2.6. If you wish to take advantage of the new API endpoints (e.g. the ability to upload Product Variations separately to the parent Product) you will need to switch to the new v2 API and make some changes to your existing scripts etc using the examples from the fmEcommerce Link (WooCommerce Edition) REST API v2 file. If you are not planning to upgrade to WooCommerce 3.0 in the near future you do not need to make any changes.
All future development we now be focussed on the v2 REST API as that is the version that WooCommerce will continue to develop – we’ll certainly fix any bugs that arise with the v1 REST API. You can get the full details of all the change on the version history page.